Wednesday, July 1, 2015

This past weekend part 1- Volubilis

Here is all that has happened these past couple of days:

Thursday- stayed up way later than I should have to study for my test
Friday- woke up early to get to school and study. Reviewed in class, then took the test. It wasn't the worst thing ever. I put down an answer for every question, so that's a big success for me. And the other students said it was challenging too. It was like a calc test- I think I know the material, I look at the test and get overwhelmed because I have no clue what the questions are asking, but then I look closer and go piece by piece and eventually figure most things out, or I make educated guesses on the stuff I have no idea of. After 2 years of calc, I'm used to that, so thanks Mr. Orlando!

After that was done, I was ready for a break. Right when I got out, I checked Twitter and found out the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in all 50 states!!! So we were all very happy. At lunch, me and a few of the other NSLI students started having this really long and intense yet very respectful and open minded conversation that started with religion in politics, and moved through every controversial US issue of the decade, from gun control to abortion to North Korea to Iran. It was awesome; I love that kind of stuff. It actually was really cool hearing the sides of more moderate-conservative or more religious students. I found that I could understand a lot of their logic and they could understand mine as well. Everyone was speaking very intelligently. 

We all stayed at Qalam and chilled in the camel hair tent, had Iftar at Qalam, and then went to this party/concert for a children's center. None of us had high expectations, but when we got there and saw the moon bounces and carnival games and celebrity singers, we started freaking out. The guy singing was the guy from this once commercial that all of our host families watch on TV!!! (TV is huge among a lot of the middle and upper class families- the TV in my house is on all the time)

So we played soccer with the kids for a while (I was goalie of course), and then we went to go hear the music. Me and a couple other students were the first non Moroccans to go to the front and start dancing, but before we knew it, we were being thrown into the middle of a dancing circle with a bunch of older Moroccans (like early-mid twenties), doing conga lines, learning ridiculous steps, whipping our hair. We danced non stop for at least 30 or 40 minutes. The music was really good and everyone was getting so into it. I can honestly say it was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. Maybe I should make it a personal goal to have a dance party with foreigners in every country that I travel to. 

Saturday- We woke up super early and headed to the Roman ruins at Volubilis. It was amazing. Makes me want to spend a summer traveling the Mediterannean and just seeing all of the Greek and Roman ruins. Walking the same streets as ancient Romans was the coolest feeling. There was a public bath dedicated to Poseidon, a private path, chariot tracks, a basilica, an olive press, a wine place dedicated to Dionysus. It had influenced from the Romans, the Moors, the Berber tribes, and many different cultures all at once. Here are pictures: 

^Olivia's at the olive press
^the olive press







No comments:

Post a Comment