Wednesday, July 1, 2015

How theatre has prepared me for learning a foreign language in a foreign country


1) In shows and in Arabic class, good memorization skills will save your life.

2) Class is like rehearsal: you gotta come prepared. You can't come to rehearsal without having your lines memorized and objectives explicitly stated and expect to accomplish anything. Similarly, I can't come to class without my vocab words memorized and expect to accomplish anything. Each night, I have to memorize words in order to have an effective class the next day. I also have to set objectives/goals for myself that are attainable.

3) In improv, the tell us to always say "Yes, and!" meaning take what is given to you and improve upon it. Don't ever say no to your scene partner. Here, I have to be open and accepting of every opportunity that comes my way. I have to say yes to everything (especially food). I can't say no to people or shut myself in my room. That just doesn't work. 

4) Take risks! In theatre, you can only find what works if you are willing to step out of your comfort zone and take a personal, emotional, intellectual, and physical risk. Here, everything feels like a risk: answering a question in class, going to the hammam, trying a new food, or going to a new city. But the risks are what make the experience. 

5) Don't be afraid to look or sound stupid, and always go all out. Actors who worry about looking stupid tend to be timid and boring to watch. Actors who put themselves out there and try something outrageous often are the best to watch. Here, it's always better to try and communicate to someone even if you know you aren't pronouncing a word right. The locals would rather you try to talk with them than not at all. 

6) Say "thank you" when you get notes. And write them down! In a show, when you get a note from a director, always be attentive, write it down, and express your gratitude. Same in class- listen when your teacher corrects you, write down what she said, fix your mistake, and say thank you.  

7) Accept the fact that the schedule will constantly change. I have never been in a show that has kept the same schedule from start to finish. Changes happens and usually they are last minute. You just got to roll with it, and the same lesson is true here.

8) Your cast is your family through thick and through thin, and each member is crucial to the success of the entire group. Thankfully, my "cast" of other NSLI kids could not be better, and I think we already make an excellent family.
 
9) Dress comfortably, and always wear closed toed shoes!!!! Never wear jeans, low cut tops, crop tops, booty shorts, flip flops, or long jewelry to rehearsal. Don't wear low cut tops, crop tops, or booty shorts in Morocco, either. 

10) Always bring a pencil and notebook wherever you go. For bonus points, bring extra pencils for when other kids can borrow them and they will forever think of you as the most dependable and generous person ever. 

So thank you Nikki, Jess, Jean, Mr. Graham, Jeanne, KP, Renae, Mr. Kenton, and all my wonderful theatrical mentors for helping prepare me for this summer, and by extention, the rest of my life. Keep doing what you do and hopefully all your students will learn these valuable life lessons too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment