Friday, June 12, 2015

Thoughts at 3 AM, Five Days Before Departure

I love DC. So much.

In between graduation and my departure date, I have been determined to squeeze as much time in with my high school friends as possible. I am essentially trying to fit an entire summer vacation into three weeks. We have done all of the touristy things in DC, from visiting museums to touring the monuments to going to a comedy show at the Millennium Stage to eating at Busboys & Poets.

The more time I spend in our nation's capital, the more I fall in love with it. It's strange, seeing as I have done all of these things before. But this past week, everything I have done in DC has felt much more meaningful, realizing that I have to leave all of my favorite things behind for a while.

Though I am beyond excited to get to know the capital of a new nation, and explore Morocco's own cultural landmarks, I am sad about leaving the wonderful place that I call home. I know, however, that DC will be waiting for me when I get back.

It's comforting knowing that I will be attending college at UMD, only a shuttle ride and a few metro stops away from DC and my lovely Bethesda home. I don't think I would have been able to adjust to both Morocco and an entirely new part of the US in the same year.

Respect to the other American kids traveling with me who are going to college far away right after returning from Rabat! I can't wait to meet them at our pre-departure orientation in New York City next week.

Here is one of my favorite songs by my favorite singers (Jason Mraz, of course) that sums up how I am feeling right about now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcQwIxRcaYs

Travel is weird, y'all. I'm in for a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment