Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Rose bud and thorn

There's a get to know you game called rose bud and thorn. Everyone shares something good that happened (rose), something challenging that happened (thorn), and an opportunity for growth (bud).

Arabic is really really really difficult, guys.
(My thorn)

I got placed into a class that's probably equivalent to level 3 Arabic at BCC, and I only took level 1. So I don't really know what's going on. Everyone else in my class knows how to conjugate all the verbs and can recognize written words and read pretty well. I'm good at speaking and decent at listening but I am literally a kindergartener when it comes to reading and writing. I don't want to slow the class down. I will wait a couple of days and see how it goes but it might be too hard for me. I didn't know what half of the words in my homework meant at first, but I looked them up and I will make flash cards tonight and try to learn as many as I can. 

I am extremely overwhelmed and exhausted at the moment, but it's good to challenge myself. (My bud) This will definitely prepare me for the high difficulty of Arabic at UMD in the fall. If I stay at the level I am in right now, I will probably just retake the equivalent class at UMD so I can really understand the material.

I'm planning on signing up for one on one tutoring tomorrow so that I can catch up  on the grammar lessons I missed and have them help me do my homework. I think I will try to stay late at school and do my homework there, because it's hard to concentrate at my host family with everything going on. 

I'm about to go try and take a taxi back home, let's hope that goes well! 

Today, we went to an art museum and a pottery workshop. The trips definitely made my difficult day a lot better. (My rose) Here are some pictures: 









No comments:

Post a Comment